Sunday, October 9, 2016

Week 14 - It's September!

We did exchanges on Tuesday and my companion for the day was Sister DeVries. She’s so cute, it was a lot of fun spending the day with her. We taught a couple less actives then went to an African family’s house- the kids recently got baptized. They were adorable. Syracuse is super diverse. You never know what to expect. We went to Funken Waffles for dinner and it was super good. I had a waffle with strawberries and whipped cream. Then we went outside to the wall that had a lot of graffiti and took pictures. 

That night we tracted a little bit and at one house the son opened the door and we asked if his mom was home and he said yes and went to go get her. She was upstairs and just opened the window to talk to us and the screen fell out and was inches from hitting me, tender mercy. She ended up coming down and we gave her a Book of Mormon and set up an appointment in a couple days to come back. Then we taught an investigator, his name is J. He was saying how he knew a Mormon and he was one of the best people he has ever met. Sister DeVries realized the person he was talking about was in her ward - Brother Redfern!  We’ve had dinner at the Redferns- they’re a super awesome family. It was cool to have that connection.

Wednesday we had Zone Training Metting! I was asked to give a spiritual thought so I decided to share the experience I had when I recited the First Vision for the first time. President referred to my spiritual thought a couple of times (the ZTM was focused on the BOM) and he kept saying Sister Moore (another Sister in the Zone) and I was a little confused but then Sister Rogers pointed out that I gave the spiritual thought and he has been using the wrong name. He apologized and we all laughed, I kind of just went with it.

We had dinner at a member’s house after ZTM and they made us salt potatoes! They are really big here. We have never heard of them so S made some for us along with chicken and corn on the cob and hot dogs and watermelon. We were given chocolate pie and truffles and dinner leftovers when we left. The people here are too good to us. We had a lesson with a potential investigator J we tracted into after that. That lesson was incredible. During it I was thinking “this is why I’m on my mission”! We talked about the Book of Mormon and read Alma 32 with him about faith and he was like “yeah that’s me, I have a desire I just need more faith” and I asked him how he thinks he could get more faith and he said “read this book”. Um YES THAT IS THE BEST ANSWER? It was just super cool. It was definitely a privilege to be there in that moment. Sister Case and I were so pumped after that lesson. We were seriously on cloud 9. It was probably one of the best days in the mission.

Oh and J’s lesson wasn’t even the last awesome thing of the day. We saw S after that. She’s one of our investigators and she is so awesome. We have so much fun in her lessons. We taught the 10 commandments and just we were just talking and she said her husband missed the bus, he was in New York City, and so he was coming home later than expected because he cut it to close and I thought of dad and how he has missed his flights before. Silly boys, ha ha.

On Thursday we went to Sweet Frog which is a frozen yogurt place because a friend told us they have a deal on Thursdays. It was so good. We are planning on going this week too.

We found out recently that there is a less active family who lives in our apartment complex and we tried them earlier but they weren’t home. The parents only know Spanish and the two daughters know English and Spanish. On Saturday when we were going in for the night I saw that the lights were on so I said we should go over there, we did and it was awesome! Their apartment is so homey and cute. I loved it. There were super nice. We read a scripture with them, well read it in English then the daughter read it in Spanish so her parents could understand. The dad said the closing prayer in Spanish and it was so cool! He said “missionarios”, like five times. They gave us a loaf of fresh French bread when we were leaving :) They said they are moving in 2 weeks to Syracuse, the city, so that’s sad because we won’t get to see them anymore.

Mission life is great!


Some great friends....





 Some chalk + a sidewalk = a diagram of the Plan of Salvation




Sweet Frog is a great place on a hot day for some frozen yogurt!

No comments:

Post a Comment